Visiting South India? Planning to enjoy holidays or want to take a break from hectic office life but, confused about the location? Visit Pondicherry. A wonderful place filled with French architecture, beautiful beaches and epic monuments. Pondicherry is a union territory which was earlier under French colonialism. It’s located in south of India. It’s been decade that Pondicherry successfully succeeded to break away from the clutches of French rule, but the essence is still there, and probably this is what makes thousands of tourists visit this place and enjoy serenity of the city. Why aren’t you there? Let’s go.
1. Being situated on the coromandel shore, the southern sea line of Indian sub-continent, Pondicherry is surrounded by sea on one side. Once you enter Pondicherry, pay visit to the Beach road and enjoy the landmarks like statues of famous Indians and others. One can enjoy the panaromic view of the ocean from this road.
2. If you have got kids with you, Children’s park on the shore is the apt location then for you to be at. It’s a sea side park built in 18th century and has ample amount of entertainments for people from all age groups especially the kids.
3. Le Café, an important tourist information center cum a café is on the same road to feast your appetite. You can always find best pastries of the town in the cafe.
4. On the shore, one can find a tall architecture boasting of French architecture. Since it was built by French in 19th century, it’s basically a light house but more famous as the 19th century light house. Don’t forget to get yourself clicked along it.
5. After the beach activities, if you are heading towards the main city, do visit the French war memorial. It’s in memory of those French nationals who laid down their lives in World War I.
6. City has got some world class monuments like famous churches and museums. Few of them recommended to you are The Church of Our Lady of the Angels, which was built in 1852. Another is Church of Sacred Heart which was built in 18th century, all of them boast of French architecture.
7. City also highlights a series of Temples such as Kamatchiamman Temple, Pyramid Nataraja Temple and Panchavatee Temple and many more. These all are years old and were built by rulers or kings who were here. Do visit.